SuperNAD+ 300mg 90 Capsules (Nicotinamide Riboside)
What is NAD+?
Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide (NAD+) is an essentialÂ molecule found in every living cell.Â
Why is NAD+ so important?
NAD+ plays many roles in our cells but primarily acts as a communication molecule between the cell nucleus and the mitochondria which are the energy-producing factories in the cell. NAD+ is required for essential biological processes including energy creation, regulating circadian rhythms, cholesterol synthesis and maintaining healthy DNA. 1
What Lowers NAD?
As we age, our supply of NAD+ levels decline. If NAD+
levels are low, the communication may be impaired leading to mitochondrial dysfunction. Several disease and lifestyle factors have also been shown to deplete our cellular NAD+ levels. These include:Â
â€¢Â Â Â Ageing
â€¢Â Â Â Alcohol consumption 2
â€¢Â Â Â Overnutrition & Obesity 3
â€¢Â Â Â Sun (UV) damage 4
â€¢Â Â Â Intense noise exposure leading to hearing loss 5
â€¢Â Â Â Heart disease 6
â€¢Â Â Â Neurodegenerative disease 7
â€¢Â Â Â Changing time zones and night-shift work 8â€‹
Boosting NAD+ levels promote cellular metabolism, mitochondrial function, and energy production.Â
How to get more NAD?
Our cells naturally produce NAD+. Maintaining a regular sleep-work schedule, regular exercise, reducing sun exposure and alcohol intake can all help retain and increase those levels. But the cruel reality is NAD+ levels are highest at birth and decreases dramatically with age. As a result, better lifestyle choices alone arenâ€™t always enough to produce the amounts of NAD+ we need for healthy, strong cells.Â
WHAT IS NICOTINAMIDE RIBOSIDE (NR)?Â
Nicotinamide Riboside is a unique food form of vitamin B3 that yields the highest potential in vitro amount of NAD. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has also reviewed its safety and has provided it with a â€˜Generally Recognised as Safeâ€™ status.Â
Furthermore, several human trials have shown Nicotinamide Riboside supplementation can significantly increase NAD levels to thoseÂ of younger adults. There are also currently 14 ongoing registered clinical trials exploring the potential health benefits of NR supplementation.Â
In a randomised, six week, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial, in healthy middle-aged to older adults (n=24), chronic NR supplementation (500 mg, twice/day) for 6 weeks demonstrated positive trends including a reduction in systolic blood pressure and arterial stiffness. 10
An eight-week double-blind, randomised clinical trial (n=118) assessing the efficacy and safety of NR dosed at either 250 mg NR or 500 mg NR versus a placebo control group showed a significant increase in whole blood NAD+ by an average of 40% at four weeks and maintained that increase for the duration of the trial. In addition, potentially positive effects were observed regarding liver function which may become more apparent in larger scale clinical trials. 11
WHAT OTHER NAD+ PRECURSORS DOÂ
There are two other forms of vitamin B3 that can also increase NAD levels, Niacin (Nicotinic Acid) and Nicotinamide. Niacin can cause painful â€œflushingâ€ when taken as a supplement. Nicotinamide also adversely inhibits the activity of important â€œlongevity proteinsâ€ known as Sirtuins. In comparison, Nicotinamide Riboside may activate Sirtuins, which are associated with cellular metabolism and longevity.Â
Nicotinamide Riboside has been rigorously tested using internationally accepted safety protocols. It has been issued with the FDAÂ
â€˜Generally Recognized As Safeâ€™ (GRAS) status and a New Dietary Ingredient Notification (NDIN). Â This compound is listed as a food in the USA as such No serious adverse effects have been reported with the use of Nicotinamide Riboside in studies and as a daily supplement. Â
DOSAGE & ADMINISTRATIONÂ
Supplements in the USA contain Nicotinamide Riboside at 150mg-300mg daily with or without food. Taken as a single daily dose preferably in the morning or divided into two doses taken in the morning and early afternoon.Â
Super NAD+ capsules are vegetarian safe, gluten-free, nut-free, caffeine-free and contain no animal by-products, or artificial coloursÂ and flavours.Â
Disclaimer: Nicotinamide riboside is not approved by the TGAÂ
Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are diabetic, undergoing cancer treatments or suffer from auto-immune disease before taking Â NAD supplements. There are some general precautions that must be taken with all Vitamin B3 supplements.Â
- Braidy N, et al. (2018) Role of Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide and Related Precursors as Therapeutic Targets for Age-Related Degenerative Diseases, Antioxid Redox Signal, doi: 10.1089/ars.2017.7269.
- Wang S, et al. (2018) Nicotinamide riboside attenuates alcohol-induced liver injuries, Redox Biology 17:89-98, doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2018.04.006
- CantÃ³ C, et al. (2012) The NAD+ precursor nicotinamide riboside enhances oxidative metabolism and protects against high-fat diet-induced obesity, Cell Metab.,15:838â€“847, doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2012.04.022
- Kauppinen A, et al. (2013) Antagonistic crosstalk between NF-ÎºB and SIRT1 in the regulation of inflammation and metabolic disorders, Cellular Signalling, 25(10):1939-1948, doi: 10.1016/j.cellsig.2013.06.007.
- Brown K, et al. (2014) Activation of SIRT3 by the NAD+ Precursor Nicotinamide Riboside Protects from Noise-Induced Hearing Loss, Cell Metabolism, 20(6):1059-1068, doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2014.11.003
- Walker M, Tian R (2018) Raising NAD in Heart Failure, Circulation, 137:2274-2277, doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.032626
- Yang J, Klaidman LK, Nalbandian A, Oliver J, Chang ML, Chan PH, Adams JD Jr. (2002) The effects of nicotinamide on energy metabolism following transient focal cerebral ischemia in Wistar rats. Neurosci Lett 333:91â€“94.
- Nakahata Y, Bessho Y (2016) The Circadian NAD+ Metabolism: Impact on Chromatin Remodeling and Aging, BioMed Research International, doi: 10.1155/2016/3208429
- Trammell S, et al. (2016) Nicotinamide riboside is uniquely and orally bioavailable in mice and humans. Nat Commun, 7:12948, doi: 10.1038/ncomms12948
- Martens C, et al. (2018) Chronic nicotinamide riboside supplementation is well-tolerated and elevates NAD+ in healthy middle-aged and older adults, Nature Communications, 9:1286, doi: 10.1038/s41467-018-03421-7
- Dellinger RW, et al. (2017) Repeat dose NR/PT increases NAD(+) levels in humans safely and sustainably: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study. NPJ Aging Mech Dis 3: 17, doi: 10.1038/s41514-017-0016-9